Following an accident that resulted in you getting seriously injured, you will find yourself wondering what to do next. Normally, you may want to file a personal injury claim. However, there are a few things that could ruin your claim and leave you without the rightful compensation.
Many people make these mistakes on a daily basis. Here are the most common mistakes, and a few ways to avoid them in order to maximize your chances of obtaining the highest compensation possible for your injuries.
No Police, Please!
After getting injured in an accident, the worst thing you can do is NOT calling the police. Why? Well, for several reasons:
- The police will arrive with an ambulance
- They will help write down (police report) everything that has happened, giving you valid evidence to use in court
- They will gather all the information from all parties involved (in case you missed something or were unable to collect them yourself)
It is crucial that you call the police right after the accident. They can only help your case and help you prove negligence.
I’m Fine, Thank You!
Regardless of how you are feeling after getting involved in an accident, you should never refuse to see a doctor, for the following reasons:
- You may be injured without even being aware of it
- Upon seeing a doctor, you will be inspected for all injuries and have proof (the doctor’s report) that those injuries came from that particular accident
- You may be developing a potentially serious condition, and seeing a doctor is the only way to discover and prevent it
In addition, do not wait to see a medical professional. In some states, you have a certain amount of time to seek medical attention before you lose your right to file a personal injury claim and receive the rightful compensation. Speak with Kansas City Personal Injury Attorneys to learn about the laws and regulations in your state.
I Don’t Need an Attorney!
Do you believe that you have what it takes to deal with the legal aspects of your accident on your own? Even though you think that you can handle everything on your own, in reality, the chances are that you will stumble on the first obstacle and lose your personal injury case and claim.
Without an attorney to represent you, the chances of having a successful claim drop by 60 percent. The other parties involved will definitely have legal representation and be sure that they will do everything in their power to prevent you from filing a successful claim against them.
Your best bet is hiring an experienced Personal Injury Attorney in Kansas City from Mayer & Rosenberg, P. C. Call right after the accident, schedule a free consultation, and see what it takes to win a case. The initial consultation is free of charge, so do not worry about initial costs or having to pay your attorney a small fortune.
Remember that you should only speak and consult with your attorney, and leave all the other negotiations and talks to the experts.